Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Casserole February 03 2020
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup panko
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk
2 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1 (8-oz.) package sliced mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups Jambalaya Girl Jambalaya Rice Mix, 8oz pack
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 cups fresh broccoli florets (about 2 heads)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter. Combine melted butter with panko and 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese; toss to coat.
- Bring broth and 2 cups milk to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and keep mixture warm until ready to use.
- Melt remaining 4 Tbsp. butter in a large shallow Dutch oven or ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add onion and celery to Dutch oven, and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is lightly browned. Add mushrooms to Dutch oven. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add garlic, and cook, stirring constantly, 45 seconds. Stir in flour until combined. (Mixture will be dry.)
- Gradually stir warm broth mixture into mushroom mixture. Add remaining 1 cup cheese, and stir until well blended and smooth. Stir in jambalaya rice, sour cream and mayonnaise. Cover Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid.
- Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove Dutch oven from oven; increase oven temperature to broil.
- Microwave broccoli, 1/4 cup water, and 1/2 tsp. kosher salt in a covered microwave-safe bowl at HIGH about 2 minutes or just until broccoli is tender and bright green. Drain and pat broccoli dry. Stir broccoli into rice mixture in Dutch oven. If desired, transfer mixture to a broiler-safe serving dish coated lightly with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over broccoli mixture. Place on middle oven rack, and broil 2 to 3 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Let casserole stand 5 minutes before serving.