New Orleans Style Hoppin' John Jambalaya December 11 2022
Enjoy a taste of New Orleans with your Blackeye Peas on New Year's Day with Jambalaya Girl's Jambalaya. This recipe is inspired by the South Carolina Hoppin' John Dish. Wishing you good health, good luck and good food in 2023, Happy New Year! - The Jambalaya Girl Family from New Orleans
Click here for a printable recipe card.
Makes great gifts for teachers, co-workers, neighbors, friends and family!
1 lb. Blackeye Peas
1 – 8 oz. package Jambalaya Girl Jambalaya
2 Ham Hocks (or 1 lb. bacon or sausage)
1 Onion, chopped
2 tablespoons oil
6 cups Chicken Stock
2.5 cups water
- Rinse and sort peas.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté 5 minutes.
- Add water and chicken broth, bring to a boil. Add blackeye peas and ham hocks; stir well. Return to a boil for 10 minutes; cover with lid, reduce heat to low, and simmer 1 hour or until the peas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove ham hocks, pick meat from bones, chop and return to the pot; discard bones, skin and other unwanted items.
- Add Jambalaya Rice to pot, stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer an additional 25 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Stir and serve. Happy New Year!